Anyone who knows my family well knows that popcorn is a huge part of our lives. Ever since I was a little girl, I remember my dad making big bowls (or paper bags….) of popcorn for road trips, movie nights, or camping trips. We ate it the usual way: liberally seasoned with butter + salt. This is usually my go to. But, after spending a week in Kauai earlier this month and trying some amazing local kettle corn seasoned with nutritional yeast and bee pollen, I started thinking that maybe I should ditch my usual recipe and make my own seasoning instead!
A few notes about ingredients:
- Bee Pollen: get it on amazon through a reputable company (aka the one I’ve linked) OR even better, source some local stuff! Bee pollen has some fascinating nutritional benefits: it can act as an antioxidant and reduce inflammation, it can boost immune function, and support healthy hormone balance.
- Nutritional Yeast: I know, it sounds terrible. But it tastes delicious! A little cheesy and a little salty, it is the PERFECT compliment to popcorn. Bonus: 2 tbsp also adds a whopping 8-9 grams of protein, which slows the blood sugar jump when you eat carb-y popcorn. It is also high in B vitamins, which keep our hair, skin, and nails healthy and helps to support our nervous systems.
- Popcorn: use organic, non-GMO popcorn. Corn is one of the most heavily sprayed crops, and organic isn’t much more expensive.
Here it is:
Sweet & Spicy Popcorn Seasoning
Delicious popcorn seasoning that boosts protein and B vitamins!
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp bee pollen
- 1/2 tsp chili powder or cayenne!
- 1 tsp Himalayan pink or sea salt
Add all ingredients to a high powdered blender and blend until a fine powder forms.
Season your popcorn and enjoy!
This recipe makes about 1/3 of a cup of seasoning, so just add a teaspoon or two to your popcorn, along with a drizzle of butter, avocado, or coconut oil of course!
We are a participant in the Amazon Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
The services and recipes provided are at all times restricted to informational purposes and are intended for general well being. They are not meant for the purposes of medical diagnosis, treatment or prescribing of medicine for any disease, or any licensed or controlled act which may constitute the practice of medicine. Further, the contents of this website are for informational purposes only and should not be considered medical or psychological advice, diagnosis, or treatment.