The New Year is almost here!!!! I already love 2018. I know it will be a year of exciting new endeavours, lots of good food, and wonderful times with my friends and family.
As the new year approaches, I always spend an evening looking back on the past year, thinking about what worked well and what didn’t work at all, and I start making goals for the year ahead. Past resolutions have been things like ‘pee clear all year’ (yes, really), write in a gratitude journal every night, lose 15 pounds (the same 15, every year….), work out every morning, stop eating sugar, etc. They are always somewhat health related. And they stick for a couple months. Then I let go of them, but hold onto the guilt of letting them go, wishing I had more willpower to keep them up all year. You too?
That guilt trap is exhausting and stressful – two things that New Year’s resolutions should never be. So this year, let’s make better goals! These goals should be simple, fun, gentle, and rooted in kindness to ourselves. Goals that keep our adrenals healthy, our immune systems boosted, and our sugar levels balanced so our minds and bodies are in balance and feel good. Because when we feel good, we naturally gravitate toward eating healthier foods, moving our bodies regularly, and practicing other healthy rituals because they make us feel even better.
So, want to feel great in 2018 without exerting all your willpower and then reeling from tidal waves of guilt? Here are a few simple goals that I plan to chose from. Hope you find something that you can’t wait to try out, too.
- Establish a regular bedtime routine and bedtime and stick to it. Sleep is more important than most things.
- Get a massage monthly! This is great for keeping your nervous system healthy.
- Sip herbal teas throughout the day in your favourite mug. Be intentional about the tea you chose (these are just 3 of my faves):
- dandelion root is great for your digestive system and your liver (especially if you’ve celebrated the holiday season a little too much 😉 )
- chaga is great for boosting your immune system and keeping colds at bay
- holy basic is great for helping to balance your blood sugar (which in turn minimizes those sugar cravings)
- Try yoga. The gentle movement feels like you’ve just had a massage on your brain and body. Actually.
- Say ‘no thanks’ to things that you don’t want to do. Or things that don’t make you feel ‘expansive’ and excited. Don’t fill your year with obligations.
- Do what you love (as long as it feels good), without guilt. Love reading? Read more. Love taking Sunday evening baths? Get some bath salts made with high quality essential oils and do it. Love binge watching Netflix in bed? Dooooooo it.
These are just a handful of my favourites and I hope something here resonates with you. Either way, the main point is this: in 2018, take time to care for yourself because that self care will bring you a whole host of health benefits, helping you feel great all year long.